birding-aus

What is the function of Channel-billed Cuckoo's calling flights?

To: <>, <>
Subject: What is the function of Channel-billed Cuckoo's calling flights?
From: Judith Hoyle <>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2011 22:21:23 +0000
Hi All,

An interesting thread.  Over the prevoius two summers (but not this one, for
some reason) we had a pair of CBCs that appeared to maintain a territory in our
street.  Whilst they were particularly active/vocal in the early morning and
evening we heard them at odd intervals throughout each day.

I find Allan's observations of multple birds roosting together particularly
interesting. Early on in their stay, our CBCs had the expected interactions
with the local Torresian Crows to get the female into the nest.  However,  they
were here for at least a couple of months after that, keeping up with their
aerial calling throughout that time. As we live in an area without an obvious
source of fruiting trees, it got me thinking: were they maintaining a territory
around their nesting sites with the aim of 'picking up' their young once they
had fledged??

Regards

Judith