birding-aus

Kelp Gull on Sunshine Coast.

To: Paul Walbridge <>, "" <>
Subject: Kelp Gull on Sunshine Coast.
From: David James <>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2011 13:59:36 -0800 (PST)
There have been several claims that the lone Kelp Gull at cottontree is a male
because of the deep bill. It probably is, but I don't think you can relaibly
sex an individual bird this way.

Here is what I wrote on the subject for HANZAB vol 3.

Bill depth (at base) ranges from 18.5-23.5 mm in males and 16.5-20.0 in fmeales
Bill depth (at gonys) ranges from 19.5-23.5 mm in males and 18.0-21.5 in
females
SEXING    Males considerably larger than females, specially in bill, but
overlap in all measurements. Breeding pairs can be reliably sexed on
measurements or by observation if side by side (Kinsky 1963). Brooke and Cooper
(1979) used NZ data on weight and Bill F from Kinsky (1963) to sex live birds
on Marion I.: Weight > 975 and Bill F > 50 taken as male, smaller birds as
female; no validation reported. Nugent (1982) produced a discriminant function
for NZ birds using total head length and bill depth (taken at shallowest point,
about half-way between loral point and nostril): 0 = (0.126 * THL) + (0.289 *
depth) - 19.707; females negative, males positive; 156 (99%) of 158 birds used
to derive the function and 25 (96%) of 26 independent birds were correctly
classified.

 What are the bill depth measurements of the Cottontree bird?

David James,
Sydney