birding-aus

Birdline Australia Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Australia Weekly Update
Date: 5 Dec 2011 01:30:34 +1000

Birdline Australia

Published sightings for the week ending 4 Dec 2011.

Sat 3 Dec Freckled Duck Fyshwick Sewage Treatment Plant, Australian Capital Territory
10 Freckled Duck on Pond 1 (an 11th Freckled Duck is across the road at Kellys Swamp).
Alastair Smith

Mossy-nest Swiftlet, Grey Wagtail, Red-collared Dove, Asian Koel, etc NW Point, Christmas Island
Another visit to NW Point produced more Edible-nest Swiftlets, 30+Asian House Martins and a well photographed MOSSY-NEST SWIFTLET. Yesterday afternoon they had all gone, only to be replaced by a lone House Swift, which circled for over an hour providing close views and plenty of photos. A GREY WAGTAIL has been hanging around the rubbish tip for the last couple of days and we've had several close views of RED-COLLARED DOVE in Settlement. Our last afternoon on the island produced an ASIAN KOEL, White-throated Needletail, Dollarbird, Oriental Pratincole and Wood Sandpiper.
Per Richard Baxter

Hoopoe and Semipalmated Plover Roebuck Roadhouse, Western Australia
George Swann just phoned to say that he was watching the Hoopoe at the Roebuck Roadhouse (13.40 local time) but that it wasn't there at 09.30 this morning. He saw the Semipalmated Plover on Simpson's Beach yesterday.
George Swann per Mike Carter

Fri 2 Dec White-streaked Honeyeater Mt Molloy School-Abattoir Swamp Julatten, Queensland
3.30pm Honeyeater seen at school.Then at 3.45pm honeyeater seen at Abattoir Swamp. This is proof there is more then 1 bird. If it was the same bird it would have to cover about 7km in 15 min. So keep your eyes open!
David [Chook] Crawford [Close-Up Birding Adventures] and guests

Wed 30 Nov Purple-backed Starling, Asian House Martin, House Swift, Edible-Nest & possible Himalaya Swiftlet Christmas Island, Christmas Island
PURPLE-BACKED STARLING close to our accommodation which was very co-operative with several excellent photos obtained. An afternoon storm had us all heading to North West Point in search of incoming swifts and we weren't disappointed. Two hours of exciting swift watching revealed over 30 ASIAN HOUSE MARTINS, EDIBLE-NEST SWIFTLET, HOUSE SWIFT and a yet to be identified larger swift/swiftlet which we are thinking is HIMALAYAN SWIFTLET. We have video footage and photos of this bird which should help with ID.
Per Richard Baxter

Tue 29 Nov White-streaked Honeyeater Abattoir Swamp, Julatten, Queensland
White-streaked Honeyeater (1) 1st year bird, possibly the same bird reported from Mt. Molloy on 3/10/2011. At least 90km south of normal range.
Keith & Lindsay Fisher

Sun 27 Nov Buff-breasted Button-quail Opposite Lake Mitchell, Atherton Tableland, Queensland
For the past 4 days, Peter Marsh, David Way, Ron Broomhall and I and on one day, local Dominic Chaplin, conducted searches for the Buff BBQ around the Mareeba Wetlands / Lake Mitchell area. At least 2 individuals were sighted opposite Lake Mitchell roughly on the hillside behind the truck inspection area. Three sightings of the target bird were made over 4 days with 5 good individual viewings with 2 birds flushed more than once. A number of Painted BQ's and several Brown Quail were also in the area.
Rob Burgoyne

Tue 8 Nov Pechora Pipit, Asian Brown Flycatcher, Arctic Warbler, Oriental Reed Warbler Ashmore Reef , Western Australia
A Pechora Pipit (2nd Aust record), Asian Brown Flycatcher, Oriental Reed Warbler, Timor subspecies of Arafura Fantail (semicollaris), two Arctic Warblers, naturally occurring Tree Sparrows and migrant northern hemisphere Peregrine Falcons were all recorded on Ashmore Reef during a recent survey there.
Rohan Clarke, George Swann, Mike Carter and Ash Herrod

Birdline Australia is sponsored by Birds Australia and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.

Unsubscribe