birding-aus

Common Koel in Broome

To: <>
Subject: Common Koel in Broome
From: brian kane <>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 01:12:14 +0000
I am a first time subscriber to Birding Australia and a long term resident of
Broome.  Recently, I observed two dark birds about 40 centimetres in length
flying very rapidly and quite low over the town area of Broome at 5am.  They
were being chased by a crow and unfortunately I did not have my binoculars with
me.  The birds were calling out in a loud, continuous, raucous manner.  Later
in the week I went out to the Roebuck Roadhouse to see the Hoopoe.   Once I
arrived I met Nigel Harland and friends from Melbourne.  Luckily the Hoopoe had
just flown in and was feeding on the grassed area of the caravan park.  I
mentioned about my sighting in Broome and they said it sounded like the Common
Koel.  Later I rang the Bird Observatory and there seems to be only one
recorded sighting in the area. From my own records I have a verbal sighting at
Cable Beach for March 1996 and on another occasion at Coconut Wells about 10
kilometres from Broome.  Wondering if anyone has any other sight
 ings in the Broome area for the Common Koel.  Brian Kane