birding-aus

Bogey birds: the biggest dip

To: Mark Stanley <>
Subject: Bogey birds: the biggest dip
From: Geoff Price <>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 19:38:07 +1100
Nice effort Mark! They're so hard to see you know :) Virtually all of my birdwatching has been in Victoria, and I managed to get my Viclist to 393 species (before new albatross taxonomy kickedmeover the big 4) before I saw a Brolga. That was somewhat embarrassing. Even more so since I haven't seen one since. Although I was once a passenger in a car that drove past a field with dozens of Brolgas - but I was reading the form guide and missed them. These days I don't go on pelagics so have no bogey seabirds, though am seriously gripped off by all the wonderful sightings this year. In Vic. though, my bogey bird would have to be a relatively uncommon beast such as Inland Dotterel, Bustard or Red-lored Whistler. Nationally, given the areas I have visited, the bogey bird would have to be Beach Stone Curlew. I have wasted so much pub time on this animal ...