birding-aus

Chestnut-cheeked Starling - another new bird for Australia

To: "'Rohan Clarke'" <>, <>
Subject: Chestnut-cheeked Starling - another new bird for Australia
From: "Tony Russel" <>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 10:03:46 +1030
Thanks for the pictures Rohan.

Tony

-----Original Message-----
From:
 On Behalf Of Rohan Clarke
Sent: Tuesday, 22 November 2011 7:46 PM
Subject: Chestnut-cheeked Starling - another new bird for
Australia

Hi All,
Just completed a survey trip to Ashmore Reef and nearby islands with
George Swann, Mike Carter and Ash Herrod.

Vagrant bird-wise the highlight was an immature male Chestnut-cheeked
Starling at Ashmore Reef. This is yet another first for Australia (and
following on from Stejneger's Petrel and Hoopoe the third in as many weeks).
Pics of this bird are here:
http://www.pbase.com/wildlifeimages/chestnut_cheeked_starling

We also had a cracking adult male Brown Shrike of the race lucionensis
at Ashmore Reef. This is about the fourth record for Australia, the
first away from Christmas Island and as far as I am aware the first time
this subspecies has been identified in Australia.
Pics of this bird are here: http://www.pbase.com/wildlifeimages/brown_shrike

Other rarities included a Pechora Pipit (2nd Aust record), Asian Brown
Flycatcher, Oriental Reed Warbler, Timor subspecies of Arafura Fantail
(semicollaris), two Arctic Warblers, naturally occurring Tree Sparrows
and migrant northern hemisphere Peregrine Falcons all on Ashmore and
another Pechora Pipit (3rd Aust record) and Island Monarch at Browse
Island.  I've posted pics of many of these individuals here:
http://www.pbase.com/wildlifeimages/vagrants

Kimberley Birdwatching will be running a birding tour to Ashmore for 8
days during the last fortnight of October 2012. For details contact
George Swann (it might also pay to also cc Mike Carter as George will be
in the field for the next few weeks).

Cheers,
Rohan

--