birding-aus

Wing pressure

To: Pat OMalley <>
Subject: Wing pressure
From: Chris Charles <>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 23:00:56 +1100
Pat,
Happy to discuss the physics off line but the local increase in pressure as described seems feasible assuming the flock wing beats are reasonably co-ordinated. The co-ordination would not surprise me as most birds are sensitive to the slightest aerodynamic nuance/pressure variation, the thermal soarers being the obvious ones. Another example is the classic vee (or 1/2 vee) formation that allows the trailing bird to ride the pressure wave of the one in front.

But to attribute flocking as a response to this phenomena seems to be drawing a very long bow. Re injury risk, birds do fly into each other occasionally but their reflexes & 3 dimensional perception are streets ahead of mere humans with their taught dumbed-down conversion to 2D & long nerve paths.
Chris

Chris Charles
0412 911 184

33deg 47'30"S