birding-aus

Papua 2012

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Papua 2012
From: Tom Tarrant <>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 20:29:33 +1000
I'm posting this notice on behalf of Richard Noske (please note that I have
no commercial interest in this venture.)

Tom

*PAPUA 2012*

 Our 15-day trip to Papua in August-September was a huge success. There
were 8 participants, including me, from around Oz, the youngest being in
his early 50s, the oldest being 73. All were amazed and thoroughly charmed
by our host Shita Prativi (Papua Bird Club*), and delighted by the local
guides.

We saw around 230 species of birds, including 15 species of
birds-of-paradise, and many spectacular butterflies (thanks to Peter and
Chris) and a fair few dragonflies to boot. The rhododendrons and heaths at
Lk Habbema (3,300 m) were also pretty impressive. Moreover, we witnessed
and photographed the first ever full display of the Arfak Astrapia, and
three male Wilson’s BOPs simultaneously displaying to females (another
first).

Although this was to be Shita’s last tour, she has been persuaded by
numerous naturalists and photographers to run just a few more PBC tours
next year. But 2012 may well be the last year.

I’m happy to organise another Aussie party for a 15-day trip to Papua next
year, tentatively between May and October. Tour prices are absolutely rock
bottom for that part of the world, and most of the profits go to help
villagers – which is not the case for some other bird tour companies
(despite the hype on their websites). Throughout the trip, we will be using
local guides and villagers, who benefit directly from the tours. One
village is now completely self-sufficient due to earnings from ecotours.

If you are interested in the trip, please contact Richard directly at: *

 **Papua Bird Club (PBC)* was founded in 1985 by Kris Tindige, whose life
was dedicated to the promotion of conservation in Papua (formerly Irian
Jaya) and the support of Indigenous villages through ecotourism and
education. Originally a Yayasan - a non profit-making organization - PBC
provided natural history and cultural tours, the profits of which were
disbursed to education and community development programmes. Tragically,
Kris died from cancer at the age of only 41, after two years of medical
treatment that was funded by more than a 100 people from 15 countries
around the world, including Friends of Kris Tindige in Australia (FOKTA).
He is still sorely missed**. Happily, however, the community work of PBC
continues, due to the tireless efforts of Kris’s partner, Shita Prativi,
who has finally agreed to keep some money for herself!

 **You can read about Kris’s life in the tribute that appeared in KUKILA
vol 14

*http://kukila.org/index.php/KKL/issue/view/19*

--
Tom Tarrant