birding-aus

Peregrine prey

To: "" <>
Subject: Peregrine prey
From: <>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 17:14:41 +1100
Hi all,

Nothing too unusual to have a pair of Peregrines here in Bundaberg SEQld
regularly using the middle of town. Recently in the early morning the female
was seen with a male Red-backed Button-Quail in her talons. This was a bit of a
surprise as it's not a bird which is recorded here often. Hanzab doesn't
mention it as having been recorded as a prey item although Painted Button-Quail
is in there amongst all the other species. I've asked Stephen Debus and Greg
Czechura who are not aware of it having been recorded. The Queensland Museum
recommended asking Birding-Aus!

Anyone out there have a similar record? I have a poor but identifiable picture
of it as checked the id with Stephen.

Cheers,
Chris