birding-aus

Australian Painted Snipe Behaviour

Subject: Australian Painted Snipe Behaviour
From: Mike Honeyman <>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 22:38:05 +1100
Hi Bob

It certainly notes in references I have that Painted Snipe are hard to flush. The Helm Shorebirds book (Hayman et al, 1986) says "When disturbed usually freezes; groups may form a motionless tableau, each bird holding a different attitude. When approached, often does not flush until observer is very close, then flies only a short distance". Waders of Europe, Asia and North America (Message & Taylor, 2005) similarly says "... can be difficult to flush, preferring to freeze when disturbed". The 'head down / bum up' posture has been noted before in past Australian sightings (usually described more eloquently than I have just done though!)

mjh