birding-aus

RFI Cooktown

To: ? birding-aus <>
Subject: RFI Cooktown
From: Peter Ewin <>
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2011 17:28:14 +1100
Afternoon all,
I am heading to Iron Range later this month and may have an afternoon spare in
Cooktown (depending how early we get away from Cairns). I have had a bit of a
search on the internet and have found the BANQ site which has some good
information. I have a couple of qestions I would be interested in anyones
feedback on.
Has anyone tried hiring a boat and looking for mangrove species and if so any
luck? Otherwise has anyone been on a fishing tour and caiught fish? Interested
in possibly heading up river and would interested in thoughts.
If you have limited time around town where would you recommend birding - I have
been to swamp on the edge of town and that has been quite good, but would be
interested in anyone's thoughts on good spots, particularly for tricky species
like White-streaked HE (this one can be hard at Iron Range where we will be
spending much time so it would be good to track it down early).
Any tips or experiences of birding around Cooktown would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Peter