birding-aus

[B-Aus] Round Hill - Lake Cargelligo: Woodswallow Irruption & Other High

To: "'Peter Shute'" <>
Subject: [B-Aus] Round Hill - Lake Cargelligo: Woodswallow Irruption & Other Highlights
From: "Carl Weber" <>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2011 10:28:55 +1100
Peter,

Yes, I did mean the BOCA CD. I tried playback on a number of occasions,
including once when a whistler was in earshot, to no avail. When I stalked the
red-lored whistler by following its calls, the I-pod was back in my vehicle.

As a matter of interest, earlier that day I encountered a pair of whistlers
calling to each other with red-lored calls, but when I managed to see one of
them, it was a female Gilbert's.  I was not using playback at this time.
Another birder later told me that on one occasion when he played red-lored
whistler, a Gilbert's came in.

In retrospect, I wonder if using playback when very close to the red-lored
whistler would have made a difference. I guess that my experience does not
throw much light on whether regional differences matter, but I do think that
Gilbert's can imitate red-loreds, or share very similar calls.

Carl Weber