birding-aus

Volunteering abroad - a request to birding Aus members?

To: Peter Shute <>
Subject: Volunteering abroad - a request to birding Aus members?
From: Marie Tarrant <>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 10:09:42 +1000
Agree with Russell that most of us use our spare bins until they die so it
was a request with the thought that maybe there'd be one or two or us that
didn't actually do that and could have a spare, useable pair to donate. So I
wasn't planning on taking more than 1 (or 2 pair at the most) with me.

I don't really believe it'd be too much of an issue to take abroad 2 pairs
of binos packed in checked luggage as today we take cameras, scope and binos
when we travel and it doesn't seem to create insurmountable issues - in most
places common sense seems to prevail.

Have had couple of off-list queries in relation to thoughts around a central
repository for spare binos donated for such causes and I'd support that idea
too if it were to get off the ground, as I'm sure I'm not the only one to
bird abroad and see the benefits of leaving binos behind to be used by
people who could do with them to develop their skillset, but can't afford
them. It'd be relatively easy for anyone going abroad on a birding trip to
take an extra pair to leave them behind for a worthy cause.

There's a thousand reasons we could cite around all the issues that might
arise and that often leaves us just frozen, doing nothing, till things
somehow change or get resolved one day…………maybe. Sometimes it needs to be
simply about an act of faith, doing what you can, if you can.

Thanks for those that responded off-list too and still hoping to source a
spare pair or two

Marie