birding-aus

Bad news from Macquarie

To: jenny spry <>, Jeff Davies <>, birding-aus <>
Subject: Bad news from Macquarie
From: Henry Battam <>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 11:06:21 +0000
Folks,

    listen well to Jenny.  The 'bad news' item in The Age  gives the opinion of
an uninformed journalist, typical of the shock, horror news peddlers that
infest the media. Feral animals on islands are the bad news, wherever they are
encountered. The documented history of their effects is a story of devastated
and extirpated avian populations. Seventeen  Procellariform species, some 17%
of the total, breed on Macquarie, Some of these are critically endangered, and
may well be taxonomically distinct from 'conspecific' populations on other
islands.
   All petrels are K-selected, having a longlife and late of maturation and the
security of their populations is dependent upon 3 parameters, adult annual
survival rate (typically 90-97%), breeding success (>60%) and survival of young
to breeding age (>40%). Reduce any of these and populations decline. Rabbits
cause catastrophic erosion, preventing adults from digging burrows, and causing
burrows to collapse and entomb the contents. Rodents eat adults, chicks and
eggs. The mortality caused is a potential threat to the survival of any petrel
population.  On Gough Island in the Indian Ocean, the apparently inoffensive
little house mouse kills chicks (of all ages) of the large Tristan Albatross
(Diomedea dabbenena). These little stinkers chew their way into the interior of
the chicks and eat them alive from the inside.
   Well documented are the recoveries of petrel populations following the
removal of feral mammals from breeding sites.  The recovery of Gould's Petrel
on Cabbage Tree Island NSW is a classic example. The Macquarie Island exercise
was essential and long overdue. It was well planned and the loss of some
individuals of non-target species was recognised and expected.
   Black ducks on Macquarie Island may be refugees from Victorian shooters, but
whatever their provenance, the proximate abundance of this species is very
dependent on rainfall. After breeding they disperse to all points of the
compass, and those that find Macquarie Island may be  just some of the lucky
individuals.  If they get a dose of poison, then their luck just ran out. Some
more will turn up following the next breeding season.
   For further reading just Google' rat extermination', and there is a wealth
of information to be found.

Cheers

Harry Battam
BE, PhD
Institute for Conservation and Environmental Management
University of Wollongong
Wollongong, NSW,  Australia 2522
Mobile +61 429 887 883