birding-aus

Magpie Lark attack

Subject: Magpie Lark attack
From: Wes Tolhurst <>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 15:01:46 +1000
Last year my three year old came in from the back deck crying about the bird
attacking him.  He had a nice scratch near his eye.  We went outside and he
pointed at a magpie lark.  I found it difficult to believe him.  About 2 weeks
later I was sitting on the deck and had the male magpie lark approach me
walking along the hand railing.  When he got to about 4 feet away he flew up
and lunged out with his feet scratching me in the same spot as his did my three
year old.  With three little kids of my own, that magpie lark was very lucky to
escape with it's life.
Wes