birding-aus

My Magpie-Lark story

To: <>
Subject: My Magpie-Lark story
From: "Jim Preston" <>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 15:00:18 +1100
I was attacked (no other word for it!) by a Magpie-Lark outside Readings
bookshop in Lygon Street, Carlton, about five years ago.  It was pretty
worked up, having (as I later learned) been fighting its own reflection
in a car-door at the kerbside.  I literally did not see it coming, and
felt a thud against my left temple.  The tip of its bill scratched the
conjuctiva of my left eye, and, as I mopped the bleeding, I had to be
helped to a nearby medical centre.  There, I was told that, had the
angle of the attack been slightly different, my injury could have been
much more serious, something I don't much care to think about.  I still
can't look at the bill of one of those things without inwardly
shuddering.  I think it was this time of year, so beware the revved-up
Magpie-Lark!

Jim Preston.