birding-aus

Information sought on some Gould Australian bird prints

To: Cheryl Ridge <>
Subject: Information sought on some Gould Australian bird prints
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 10:06:43 +1000
Hello Cheryl,

Your prints surely are from Gould's 1869 "Supplement".  The example you have
given us, POLYTELIS ALEXANDRAE, is at page 125.  Gould's 1840-1848 series of
seven volumes and the 1869  Supplement on Birds of Australia, all have
pages/illustrations approx. 14X22 inches on my measurements. (A bit of a
problem for normal library shelves!  I keep mine in a special cupboard.) The
others you list are all in the Supplement, and in the order you have given
them, are at pages 57, 69, 1, 107, 131, 15, and 27.  So I reckon you are safe
in assuring that your prints originated in 1869 ... though of course there may
have been later reproductions of them.  A bit unlikely, though.

In his introduction to his 1969 Supplement, Gould predicted that there were