birding-aus

new edition of Simpson & Day

To: " bird" <>
Subject: new edition of Simpson & Day
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 11:10:17 +1000
 Greetings Birding-aus subscribers.

A minor matter of curiosity.   I have received a book advertisement which
included:

>> > Field guide to the birds of Australia.
>> > Simpson, Ken and Nicolas Day.
>> > Ringwood: Penguin Books, (2010 eighth edition).
>> > Octavo, limp plastic, dustwrapper, 381 pp., colour illustrations, maps.
>> > BRAND NEW.
>> > Stock ID: 32126
>> > AU$40.00
>> >
>> > THE EIGHTH EDITION, EXTENSIVELY REVISED with the latest taxonomic changes
>> > and 40 new and revised colour plates. The guide contains 132 superb
>> > full-colour plates showing all Australian bird species; key points of
>> > identification using the latest classification system; distribution maps
>> > for all species; over 900 black and white line illustrations, breeding
>> > information, a vagrant bird bulletin, a core library list, and easy-to-use

I have a 1999 edition, and as I'm now well into my 80s and not fit enough for
much walking in the bush, i'm unlikely to buy the new edition, but I'm curious.
 At p 368 in the '99  edition there is an article on lyrebirds, and it includes:

The tail of Albert's Lyrebird lacks lyrates and consists of 14 feathers.

In fact, although an Albert lacks lyrates, it does have two plain outer
feathers, and 16 in all, the same number as the Superb.  I have had a life-long
interest in lyrebirds, and especially Alberts.  When I start up my iMac
computer the screen is filled with a photo of an Albert.  The bird is facing
the camera from a distance of about 5 m, and the tail is held vertically.  The
number of feathers can be counted quite clearly.

So, does anyone know whether this error has been corrected in the 2010 eighth
edition?  (Not all that important, for my photo is of "George" in Lamington N
P, the only male Albert's there has ever been that would tolerate a human
observer of his display.  I first taped his voice in 1984, and I understand he
is no longer occupying his territory and presumably has died.)

        Cheers

          Syd