birding-aus

More from Thailand

To: <>
Subject: More from Thailand
From: "Geoffrey Jones" <>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 08:46:24 +1100
Good Morning Everyone

I have posted another 30 photos from Thailand including the Stunning
Orange-headed Thrush and the White-browed Shortwing. Also something of a
Rarity in Thailand a Brahminy Starling which is normally found in India but
is a rare vagrant to Thailand, I photographed the bird at a tip which I
found very interesting as when I arrived there were about 6 photographers in
portable hides set up in the middle of a tip! As for the White-browed
Shortwing as you head up the mountain to Doi Inthanon you have to pass thru
a checkpoint  and they feed some of the birds mealworms which you take with
you, it is very early in the morning when this is done and so the light is
very low. I needed to have my camera set up on a tripod and I was shooting
at 1/16th of a second with high ISO and my aperture wide open just to take
the photos without flash as it tends to scare the birds off, so you will
notice that the head area is sharp but the rest of the body is slightly
blurred because of low depth of field caused by your aperture settings.

Here is the usual link
http://barraimaging.com.au/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=lastup

Kindest Regards

Geoff Jones