birding-aus

Brown Falcons with yellow cere and bare facial parts

To: "'Paul McDonald'" <>, "'Richard Nowotny'" <>
Subject: Brown Falcons with yellow cere and bare facial parts
From: "Jeff Davies" <>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 16:49:27 +1100
G'day Paul,

I must admit I am not personally sold on the idea of a different age
structure for brown Falcons of the Central Australian region but I am still
keen to listen to all ideas on this. I have now collected a lot of images
from Central Australia of pale and rufous type adults and as Chris Watson
has already mentioned at the start of this thread they predominantly have
yellow soft parts, excluding the young birds. It looks like the norm for the
area to me based on the photos, but this is clearly not a definitive answer.
None of the photos were taken because the photographer was aware of the soft
part colouration so it is a completely unbiased collection.
I am very keen to see images of birds from your Werribee study showing the
yellow facial soft parts, do you have any you can send me.

Cheers Jeff.