birding-aus

Painted-snipe behavior

To: "" <>
Subject: Painted-snipe behavior
From: John Leonard <>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 08:28:45 +1000
Canberra birdwatchers were lucky enough to be able to see two PS at Kelly's
Swamp (aka jerrrabomberra wetlands) yesterday.

The birds were either a female and a male or female and immature female.

I noticed an interesting behavior: while the birds were in the semi-open the
female opened and closed its bill perhaps 20-30 times in about ten seconds,
then did the same thing again a minute or so later.

This seemed unconnected with feeding ( the birds did not feed while I watched
them) and I didn't hear any sound being produced (I was probably 200 m away or
more).

Has anyone observed this behavior with PS, or anything similar with other birds.

I assume it was either low volume sound being produced, or the actual noise of
the bill opening and shutting that was purpose. The Female wasn't pointing
directly at the other bird when it did this, but was within a meter of it.

John Leonard