birding-aus

Gluepot trip report

To: <>
Subject: Gluepot trip report
From: "Greg Little" <>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 15:10:34 +1000
Gooday BA

Judy and I travelled from Newcastle to Gluepot Reserve and back between the
15th and 21st Sep '11 to search for several target species.

Stopped briefly at Hattah Kulkyne NP to look for the Mallee Emu-wren on the
Nowingi Track. Heard it and got close to the thing but did not see it. Also
saw Regent Parrot at camp site.

Saw Black Falcons on a nest at Yanga NP.

At Gluepot searched for the Red-lored Whistler but did not hear or see it.
After four search attempts we did have a terrific long view from less than
10m of the Scarlet-chested Parrot as it preened itself and climbed about a
small mallee tree. Other good birds seen at Gluepot included Striated
Grasswren, Southern Scrubrobin, Black-eared Miner (we think) and Gilberts
Whistler.

Also nicked across to Port Gawler for a quick search for the Slender-billed
Thornbill on a very windy morning, did not see it but did see heaps of other
good birds including Common Sandpiper, Elegant Parrot and Spotted Crake.

On return trip stopped at Round Hill for a few hours early morning search
for the Red-lored Whistler, heard it but did not see it.

We thank those several people who offered information on the location of our
target species.

Greg & Judy Little