birding-aus

Sooty Owl Fledgling Seen at Manorina - Brisbane

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Sooty Owl Fledgling Seen at Manorina - Brisbane
From: Nick Leseberg <>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 12:49:37 +0000
Hi All,

Tonight I was back up around Mt Glorious in D'Aguilar NP searching for night
birds, with some success.

Marbled Frogmouths were seen or heard at two locations, as were Southern
Boobooks and Australian Owlet-Nightjars.

The highlights though were the Sooty Owls. I tried for them on the trail about
5.5km past Maiala, and after hearing an owl, had a large bird fly over quite
high up. I couldn't find it perched though, so it remains a suspected Sooty Owl.

At Manorina the fledgling has left the nest and is now mobile. For the last
couple of weeks it has only been heard far back in the forest, but tonight it
was clearly moving around and calling frequently. It eventually came quite
close to the clearing and after some manoeuvring I was able to finally see it.
As expected the bird is very dark, with some down still visible on the breast.
The bird was giving its rasping call quite frequently for the twenty minutes I
was there, so was easy to locate. While I was there the adults didn't appear to
come in; I certainly didn't see or hear them. Presumably they were out
terrorising the local mammals in an effort to keep their youngster healthy and
well-fed.

All in all a good night, and pleasing to know that these birds are successfully
breeding within an hour's drive of the Brisbane CBD. If anyone has any
questions, please let me know.

Regards and good birding!

Nick Leseberg