birding-aus

Birds in flight and accurately clocking their speed

Subject: Birds in flight and accurately clocking their speed
From: "Donald G. Kimball" <>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 18:14:48 -0700
I remember fondly my trip off to film Scarlet-chested Parrots in South Aus
in 2009.  On the trip out to the desert along a dirt road I flushed a group
of Galahs which flew parrallel with my Nissan Patrol and then up and over
the road in front of me and out of sight.  If I remember correctly I was
doing about 80 KM per hour.  In that case the Galahs would have had to have
been traveling a bit faster.  Does this seem realistic?  Has anyone clocked
Galahs or other parrots for that matter flying parrallel with their vehicle
or by any other means?  Just curious here.  What if any species do you have
information on?

Also when I was watching Princess Parrots in the Gibson flying from one
Casuarina to another (you can see this on my DVD series) it seemed that they
also were super fast and looked to be going about 100 KM per hour.  I would
have to come back and measure the distance between the two trees which would
be quite an undertaking.  But I sure am curious how fast they were going.

Thanks as always!

Don

http://polytelismedia.wordpress.com/2008/09/