birding-aus

Tasmania Yachting Pelagic

To: <>
Subject: Tasmania Yachting Pelagic
From: Simon Mustoe <>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 14:18:27 +1000
Hi,

It's been a couple of years since we have had chance to suggest another
yachting trip off Tasmania. The vessel we previously used was unfortunately
sold. Another vessel has come available recently and we may have chance to run
the trip again.

http://au.seabirds.wildiaries.com/trips/318
http://au.seabirds.wildiaries.com/trips/73

At this stage, we're just looking for expressions of interest and as usual, you
lucky birders are looking at a mate's rate price - you don't know how lucky you
are ; )

We haven't decided exactly when to do it but it will be some time between late
2011 and early 2012. It'd either run ex Hobart towards the seamounts, or ex
Devonport out wide of St Helens (out to 100-150 miles). The price usually ends
up between $1400-$1600. This would be full board for 6 days, 5 nights,
including 4 full days at sea. So there would usually be about 30+ hours of sea
watching. On our last trip, we had 41 species of seabird and 5 species of whale
and dolphin (http://au.seabirds.wildiaries.com/trips/318). Though we'd see less
in the summer months, these are trips that will stay in my mind forever as one
of the best things I've ever done.

Just to put the price into perspective. It normally costs about $150 a day for
a pelagic with 2 hours on the shelf. When you throw in accommodation for five
nights, food and fuel, you wouldn't get much change out of a grand. For a few
hundred dollars more, we get to spend 10x longer out at sea.

Here's what Tracy Anne Cuin had to say: "That was one of the most excellent
experiences ever! I learned so much
and saw so many birds I haven't seen before, including many I have
wanted to see. Have never been sailing before and have never been
seasick either. It was brilliant."

So drop me a line to let me know if you want to be on the mailing list when we
get things moving and I'll be in touch.

All the best,

Simon.

Simon Mustoe
Tel: +61 (0) 405220830 | Skype simonmustoe | Email

Visit BIRD-O at http://www.bird-o.com
Follow BIRD-O on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/birdodotcom
Like BIRD-O on Facebook? Visit
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/Bird-O/117732794921095