birding-aus

Norfolk Island recent visit: decline in parrots and robins

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Norfolk Island recent visit: decline in parrots and robins
From: Tim Bawden <>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 12:39:47 +1030
Hi Dion

I had a week on Norfolk earlier in the year in April and while I did find
parrots  in very low numbers. I spent a fair bit of time talking to Margaret
Christian and she certainly believes parrot numbers have crashed. Other locals
said the same thing - ie parrots not visiting orchards in the last couple of
years where previously they were regular. National Parks still state 250 birds
but I spent all week walking all over the national park and would have seen or
heard at most 6 parrots total. Certainly Crimson Rosellas were everywhere....

Robins I found quite plentiful although only in or near the National Park...
perhaps it was the time of year or perhaps the same individuals seen over and
again.

Not sure what to do about it really? Is there anyone worth writing a letter to?

Cheers
Tim