birding-aus

sleep in Frogmouths & other birds

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: sleep in Frogmouths & other birds
From: David James <>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 19:21:06 -0700 (PDT)
I don't know anything about the mechanisms behind "sleep", but I have seen some
striking alternative strategies to the "sleep" strategy used by humans.

It is intuitive that whales and dolphins do not "sleep" the same way we do,
because they have to keep swimming their entire lives. Some rest at the water
surface occasionally, but most never do. Sperm whales show a behaviour pattern
none as "logging" in which they lie at the surface for half an hour or so,
breathing. Perhaps they are asleep. Baleen whales show a pattern also termed
"logging" where they move slowly and steadily in a straight line with fairly
constant timing in the breathing and diving sequence. It is not unusual to see
them suddenly "wake" from this pattern when confronted with an obstacle such as
a boat. I once saw a fin whale surfacing under a massive floating log once only
to wake suddenly and make some last minute and energetic manoeuvres to avoid
collision, and then go back to logging. They also
spontaneously "awake" and go into less automated and more diverse behaviour
patterns.

A Christmas Island Frigatebird that we satellite-tracked in 2006 flew about
5,000 km in 27 days without landing. Altimeter loggers on Great Frigatebirds
have shown that they spend more than 50% of the time "at sea" soaring in
thermals under cumulus clouds thousands of metres above sea and land. Their
wings would lock in place but they would still need to sense and steer to
remain in the thermal. Yet frigatebirds do appear to sleep on the nest, often
with the head and neck hanging vertically below the nest, eyes firmly shut, and
totally oblivious to noise such as ecologists counting nests, yelling to one
another, etc.

Frigatebirds and whales might use "unihemispherical sleep" but I doubt that it
would be the same thing in the two groups, since their evolutionary histories
are are so different. And how would a storm-petrel sleep in a 10-day gale in
the southern ocean?  This would surely require staying fully awake for however
long was necessary.
Semantically, either only humans "sleep" like humans do, or "sleep" has many
forms and humans only experience one.

David James,
Sydney