birding-aus

Little Grebe in Darwin 2008 - revisit thread

To: Steve Potter <>
Subject: Little Grebe in Darwin 2008 - revisit thread
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 12:14:47 +1000
Steve,

Thanks for that. A nice little armchair tick.

Cheers,

Carl Clifford

On 07/09/2011, at 11:31 AM, Steve Potter wrote:

Hi Folks,

Sorry to revisit this but I am going through the IOC updates and noticed
that the Little Grebe has been split into 2, Little and Tricolour.

IOC states:

ruficollis                            (Pallas, 1764)
Little Grebe                          EU, AF, OR
widespread

ruficollis (Pallas,
1764)
Europe to the Ural Mts. and nw Africa

                                          albescens          (Blanford,
1877)
Caucasus to Burma and Sri Lanka

iraquensis (Ticehurst,
1923)
Iraq, sw Iran

capensis (Salvadori,
1884)
Africa s of the Sahara, Madagascar

poggei (Reichenow,
1902)
ne to se Asia, Kuril Is., Japan, Taiwan

philippensis (Bonnaterre,
1791)
Philippines  (except Mindanao)

cotabato (Rand, 1948)
Mindanao  (Philippines)

tricolor                              (Gray, GR, 1861)
Tricolored Grebe                OR, AU
Java, Sulawesi, Lesser Sundas, New Guinea, Solomon Is.

vulcanorum (Rensch, 1929)
Sulawesi, n Moluccas to New Guinea

tricolor (Gray, GR,
1861)
Java and Timor, the Lesser Sundas

                                          collaris               (Mayr,
1945)
ne New Guinea to Bougainville I. (Solomon Is.)

Anyone know what the 2008 vagrant was?? Range would suggest "Tricolor"

Cheers

Steve Potter

Eurasian Little Grebe

from [
<http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/cgi-bin/namazu.cgi?query=%2Bfr
om%3Anhaass%40yahoo.com&idxname=birding-aus&sort=date%3Alate> Nikolas Haass]

[Permanent
<http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/cgi-bin/mesg.cgi?a=birding-aus
&i=163856.59990.qm%40web51709.mail.re2.yahoo.com>  Link][Original
<http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/cgi-bin/extract-mesg.cgi?a=bir
ding-aus&m=2008-10&i=163856.59990.qm%40web51709.mail.re2.yahoo.com> ]

Steve Potter <>,

Eurasian Little Grebe

Nikolas Haass <>

Mon, 13 Oct 2008 00:14:57 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Steve,

There are several subspecies of Little Grebe. No split that I know of.
Little
Grebe occurs in Eurasia, North Africa and sub-saharan Africa (including
parts
of Madagascar).
There are two distinct species in Madagascar (one of which is most probably
extinct: Alaotra Grebe, aka Delacour's Little Grebe; the other one -
Madagascar
Grebe - is threatened).
To complete the Tachybaptus list: there are Australasian Grebe here and
Least
Grebe in the subtropical and tropical Americas.

Nikolas
Nikolas Haass

Sydney, NSW