birding-aus

Bird ID Workshops

To: <>
Subject: Bird ID Workshops
From: "M & P Potter" <>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2011 22:45:13 +1000
Hi all,

On Saturday Illawarra Birders presented a half-day Bird ID Workshop in a joint venture with the 3 local councils' biodiversity programme (The Illawarra Biodiversity and Local Food Strategy For Climate Change). Council advertised the event in the local press and provided the perfect venue, the Discovery Centre at the Wollongong Botanic Gardens. The original plan was to cater for a group of 20 people; due to the demand this was expanded to 25, leaving a waiting list of another 40+. The workshop comprised a 90-minute presentation including practical ID tasks, with a break for morning tea. We then simply had to step outside to observe the bird life that put on a great show around the gardens. Feedback from the workshop has been very positive and we have booked the next one in October.

Many thanks to Tim Hosking and the Dubbo Field Nats for their useful pointers on how to approach such a project. There is clearly a significant demand out there for bird-related information and, like Tim, we would encourage other clubs to consider looking into this if they haven't done so already. Our birds need all the friends we can provide them with!

Cheers,

Martin Potter
Illawarra Birders Inc