birding-aus

Gold Creek Reservoir - Brisbane - QLD

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Gold Creek Reservoir - Brisbane - QLD
From: Nick Leseberg <>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2011 02:32:48 +0000
Hi All,

Spent the morning birding around Gold Creek Reservoir, about 40 minutes west of
downtown Brisbane.

The area is known locally as a good spot for White-eared Monarch, and I found a
pair of these along the sealed road leading up to the reservoir gate, near the
third creek crossing as you leave the reservoir. They were in company with a
few Spectacled Monarchs and a pair of Rufous Shrike-Thrushes. While still
birding the road, both Grey Goshawk and Brown Goshawks soared overhead, and a
few pairs of Little Lorikeets rocketed past. Scarlet Honeyeaters were common
and Australian King-Parrots and Brown Cuckoo-Doves were found feeding along the
side of the road.

In the reservoir area itself a few female Satin Bowerbirds and Varied Trillers
were around, and on the slopes to the north of the dam wall I came across a
Noisy Pitta which gave good views. White-naped and Yellow-faced Honeyeaters
were about, but not much else exciting.

Not a bad start to the week. If anyone has any questions, please let me know.

Regards and good birding!

Nick Leseberg