birding-aus

Ground Parrots in north-east Tasmania

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Ground Parrots in north-east Tasmania
From: Liz Znidersic <>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 20:01:52 +1000
Hi all,

In the low coastal heath on the western side of Binalong Bay Road between Big
Lagoon and Sloop lagoon 41º 12.076'S , 148º16.196'E (approx. 15 km north of St
Helens, Tasmania), 3 separate sightings of Ground Parrots have occurred in the
last month. The first sighting was 2 separate birds when I was with Eldert
Groenewoud (Holland) and Des Wingfield (St Helens) while walking along the Old
Train Line Track on the 25th July 2011 between 10.15-11.30am. The first bird
flushed flew only a few meters before dropping into low (50-80cm) heath. When
flushed the second time it flew about 40 meters to the eastern side of the
track keeping low.  The second bird was flushed about 30 meters further down
the track. It flew directly to the western side of the track giving us clear
views of the long tail with barring and bright green plumage. A few visits to
the area in the following weeks did not produce any sightings. On the 20th
August 2011 between 3.30-4.30pm, Ian May (St Helens) and I saw another Ground
Parrot. It flushed at approximately 15 meters as I walked through the heath on
the eastern side of the swamp.

Kind regards,

Liz Znidersic
St Helens