birding-aus

xeno-canto moderation

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: xeno-canto moderation
From: "Planque, R." <>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 08:56:41 +0000
Xeno-canto is moderated, if not by the admins. Xeno-canto doesn't believe in
authorities, only in opinions :-). The policy is as follows:

Someone adds a recording, and chooses the ID during upload. If someone thinks
the ID is off, (s)he can put up a message on the forum and the recordist is
notified with an email. The recording is now set aside until the ID has been
resolved. The decision whether agreement has been reached lies with the admins
of xeno-canto. Until the ID question is resolved the recording is not available
in standard searches.

When a recording has been discussed, this is mentioned in the remarks, with a
link to the discussion. This way, it is possible to trace back what has been
said about it.

Especially for the regions with lots of contributions, there are douzens of
very knowledgeable people who scour through these recordings and flag things.
Very often mistakes are found soon after uploading. I think about 1% of
recordings has ever been corrected, but I have never counted them.

We think this is a pretty good system, and has many advantages over trusting
the authorities, such as published CDs are archived recordings which cannot be
discussed (at least not openly).

cheers,
Bob