birding-aus

Red-browed & Striated Pardalote interaction

To: <>
Subject: Red-browed & Striated Pardalote interaction
From: martin cachard <>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 23:46:53 +1030
G'day all

Whilst visiting the Georgetown district this past weekend with Alan Morris &
Steven Edwards, we observed some interesting behaviour between a single adult
Striated Pardalote with a pair of courting adult Red-browed Pardalotes.

A single Striated approached the Red-broweds with a wing spread display, but
more surprising was that it was making the typical Red-browed call notes, but
with the pitch a couple of octaves lower.
The Red-broweds were actively calling to one another in what seemed to be some
courtship (see my pic attached on Birdline Nth Qld - this may not be published
onto the site until 25/08 am) with the brighter of the pair (adult male??)
raising it's his crest with each call note. The other Red-brow was following
this bird around the tree & responded with similar call notes, but of a
slightly different pitch.
The Striated seemed to be trying to get some interaction from this pair, but
whether it was a territorial dispute or something more related to courtship, we
wonder...??

In all my years of experience with these species, I have never heard a Striated
make such a call - identical to a Red-browed song, just of a lower pitch. I was
absolutely gob-smacked that this song was being uttered by a Striated, being
certain at the time that it was coming from another Red-brow, but that's how
good the Striated's rendition was !!

Has anyone else ever seen such interaction between these birds, or heard a
Striated make a Red-browed call??

Cheers

Martin Cachard
Cairns