birding-aus

xeno-canto

Subject: xeno-canto
From: Steve Clark <>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 21:28:37 +1000
G'day Bob and birding-aus folks.

I just wanted to thank Bob and the xeno-canto team for their great
work in providing this resource.

I'm recently back from a year in nw Tanzania (see my blog:
http://bukobasteve.blogspot.com/).  Most of the time I was the only
birder for hundreds of km and I struggled with the new bird calls.  In
addition the Kagera region of Tanzania is not well known and shares
its bird species and subspecies more with central Africa than the rest
of Tanzania.  The field guides were very much guides.  Xeno-canto was
incredibly useful and I often found the calls from birds recorded in
Uganda, Rwanda etc sounded more 'right' than the calls from Tanzania.
I downloaded hundreds of calls onto my iPod and got many a tick with
the help of these calls.

So, I recommend you all visit the site and maybe contribute.  I
haven't yet because I have no recording gear worthy of the name.  I
did however record several birds on my Nokia phone and some of these
were readily identified by members of the Tanzanian Birding fraternity
over email.  Ticks this way included Croaking and Trilling Cisticola,
Freckled Nightjar, Emerald Cuckoo - also a mammal - the Greater
Galago.  I wish I'd figured out this technique earlier when I was
struggling with the Greenbuls.

Cheers
Steve Clark
Hamilton