birding-aus

Carnaby or Baudin?

To: <>
Subject: Carnaby or Baudin?
From: "Gary Oliver" <>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 20:48:19 +1000
Hi all,

Sorry to be a burden but I've just left W.A. with a swag of photos but I'm
not sure if I've captured a Baudin's black cockatoo. I photographed what I
believed was one in a mixed group. The birds were on the Kalgan River east
of Albany where mixed flocks occur. They flew into a large pine tree and
stayed until it began to rain heavily. (five minutes). There were the
typical drawn out "mareeeah" calls but I was initially alerted to them by a
call that was somewhat clipped.

If you could please look at the photo on the left side of the following site
and let me know if you think it is a male Carnaby or Baudin. The bill seems
quite long but typically when I tried to photograph this bird from different
angles its facial feathers covered the beak.

http://birdshootaustralia.blogspot.com/2010/08/prologue.html?spref=fb

I'd really appreciate your help on this one (again).

Best wishes,

Gary Oliver

(heading for the Gluepot last week of August)