birding-aus

Top10 - results so far

To: <>
Subject: Top10 - results so far
From: Simon Mustoe <>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 16:43:29 +1000
The eagerly anticipated results of the birding TOP10 destinations ... it's a
bit like Masterchef .. you'll have to wait for the final. For now, just a
teaser.

We've had responses here, through Bird-O (http://bird-o.com), emails and
Facebook. Read the original posting at
http://bird-o.com/2011/08/09/bird-os-top10-aussie-birding-destinations/

The current contenders for the TOP 10 (drum roll please) are:

Position ; number of votes ; place name

#1   7    Werribee Sewage Farm
#2   5    Capertee Valley
#2   5    Gluepot
#2   5    Hattah/Kulkyne National Park
#3   4    Bowra Station
#3   4    Broome (incl BBO & Roebuck Bay)
#3   4    Cairns
#4   3    Bruny Island
#4   3    Cheyne Beach
#4   3    Iron Range
#4   3    Lamington NP, Queensland
#4   3    Royal National Park

Perhaps unsurprisingly, Australian birders have put poo ponds down as their
favourite. There are 12 locations in first, plus joint second and third places,
so I think it only fair to have 12 Top 10s, unless you're yet to cast your vote
- your's could just tip the balance ; )

Close contenders, just pipped to the mark (in no particular order ... well,
alphabetical ...) are:

Alice Poo Ponds
Atherton Tablelands
Chiltern (& Mt Pilot)
Darwin area
Hobart
Kakadu
Kingfisher Park
Kununurra
Round Hill
Strzlecki Track
Sundown and Girraween Nps

[Frank's second and third Top10s were disqualified. Frank, you were just being
a bit greedy : ) so we only included your first top 10, not the second or third
... hehehe ]

Thanks to everyone who responded. It's a great little exercise and much fun.
It'll take us a while to condense all of this into something sensible and
useful though, so be patient. Thanks also for those who left comments with
their suggestions - a nice added extra and splendid testimonial to our
wonderful country.

Regards,

Simon.

Simon Mustoe
Tel: +61 (0) 405220830 | Skype simonmustoe | Email

Visit BIRD-O at http://www.bird-o.com
Follow BIRD-O on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/birdodotcom
Like BIRD-O on Facebook? Visit
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/Bird-O/117732794921095