birding-aus

Grey Honeyeaters in the West McDonnell Ranges

To: "" <>
Subject: Grey Honeyeaters in the West McDonnell Ranges
From: Mark Carter <>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 01:36:38 +0100 (BST)
Hi Birders,

I have just returned from a multi-day trip to the West McDonnell Ranges which
was absolutely bird-packed. The various mallee species are currently in flower
and have attracted a huge influx of honeyeaters, including Grey Honeyeaters. In
three consecutive days I encountered noisy Greys each dawn and dusk, at one
point seeing 5 individuals at one site- a record for me as I personally have
ever seen more than two of these birds together at any one site. They were
frantically feeding on flowers but suffering very aggressive mobbing by Brown
Honeyeaters. Also present in good numbers are White-fronted Honeyeaters and
Golden-backed Honeyeaters as well as a few Pied Honeyeaters.
Any birders in the region would do well to head out there soon as the flowering
event won't last. I found the best sites for Greys to be in the mosaic areas of
mulga, riverine and mallee woodland to be found between Ochre Pits and
Serpentine Gorge along Namatjira Drive, although similar habitat stretches from
Glen Helen to Ellery Creek so these areas are probably worth a look too. The
action is all quite fast, furious and noisy so follow your ears to find these
birds!

I'll be posting a longer report on this trip onto Wildiaries and also on my
website's blog soon.

Happy Birding!

Mark Carter
0447358045