birding-aus

Sooty Owls - Brisbane

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Sooty Owls - Brisbane
From: Nick Leseberg <>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 12:27:17 +0000
Hi All,

Went out on a Sooty Owl hunt tonight and met with success!

I spent the last couple of hours this afternoon at Maiala in D'Aguilar NP west
of Brisbane, poking through the rainforest and turning up most of the usuals
but nothing unusual. A pair of Logrunners, both Satin and Regent Bowerbirds,
Green Catbirds, King Parrots, plus Yellow-throated and Large-billed Scrubwrens
amongst a host of others made for a pleasant afternoon.

Once dark had settled I tried Browns Rd for Marbled Frogmouth and Sooty Owl,
but all I could hear calling were distant Boobooks. I moved down the range to
Manorina rest area, where within minutes I had the first Sooty Owl, perched
only metres away, and apparently quite happy to hang around. I got some great
photos, and eventually had to walk away, as the bird seemed quite happy to just
sit there watching me. I continued a little further down the range to Boombana,
where again within minutes I had another Sooty Owl fly in. This one wasn't so
obliging, being a little more nervous than the first and not so keen to hang
around. Still, any night with two Sooty Owls plus photos is a success!

If anyone wants any more info, please let me know.

Regards and good birding!

Nick Leseberg