birding-aus

Rats in the corner country

To: <>, <>
Subject: Rats in the corner country
From: michael wood <>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 12:48:01 +0930

Hello Mark.
I guess that's one of the reasons I did ask. I am a very light sleeper and I
can imagine it would be a horrid night/s having to deal with all the rodent
foot traffic. The expectation alone is probably enough to keep me wired and
awake. In saying that, it doesn't sound as though it is as bad as I imagined.
It's great this rodent boom "is" taking place, and I assume has been for quite
some time now. Nothing terribly much tends to phase me when I am out, but
rats......? Well, we'll be finding out soon enough.
Last year I stayed at Montecollina Bore for the night and the most wonderful
spectacle kept me entertained for hours. A group of about ten Spinifex Hopping
Mouse, maybe even Sandy Inland Mouse (I'm not sure now which one -probably the
latter), were feeding on the seeds that had collected in the mud beneath my
wheel arches as I readied myself for sleep right next to the vehicle. I had my
head torch on them and they didn't seem to mind a bit, continuing on with their
acrobatics. I was concerned they might actually find their way up into the
engine and not find a way out. At other times, just as I was about to get to
sleep, one would run headlong over my swag. It was fantastic. I could hear
their footsteps. It was a great night, though! It still warms the heart to
think of those "little guys".
As for ants, Denise, I don't know about you but I seem to have a very special
talent for finding ant nests and standing amongst them unawares whilst they
crawl up my legs. At least I think they sleep during the night?
Regards,Michael