birding-aus

Another Rakfjord walk

To: birding-aus <>, "Ebn " <>, birdchat <>
Subject: Another Rakfjord walk
From: Vader Willem Jan Marinus <>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 12:28:26 +0000
                            ANOTHER RAKFJORD WALK NEAR TROMSØ, N. NORWAY

These last days we enjoy wonderful summer weather here in Tromsø, with sun,
blue skies, and temperatures up to 20*C---does not sound so much to you, I bet,
but two days from now we'll be back to 10*C, and that makes you enjoy the good
days even more. When I left home yesterday around 9 am (As you can see from
this, I am not a real power birder) the sun shone around my house (at c 50m
a.s.l.), but there was still a quite dense fog over the sounds and along the
coast--- this dissolved quite quickly, though, and when I arrived at Rakfjord,
in the acid-rock area North on Kvaløya, along the Kvalsund, there were only
wisps left, as well as a 'roll' of fog over the sound itself. I always park
where the road crosses a bight of the sound on a low permeable dam. It was
almost low water here now, and a lot of temporary islands had emerged, on one
of which there were c 15 Greylag Geese, all adults: their nesting season here
can not have been a great success. Several Common Eider and Red-throated
Merganser females swam proudly around, each with a train of half-grown young,
and there were quite a number of Tringa sandpipers: as always mostly Redshanks,
but there were also several Spotted Redshanks, wading belly-deep, with one even
swimming in quite deep water (this is by far the most aquatic Tringa I know),
and also two Greenshanks, running around agitatedly, no doubt hunting for
gobies or shrimps.

The marshes here are protected, although there is only a single puny sign
announcing this, and lots of people seem unaware; fortunately much of the area
is so marshy that it more or less protects itself. But I know, so I keep to the
road; the road verges here are often covered with Coltsfoot Tussilago leaves,
and otherwise the flowers are the usual: Yarrow, Vetch, Carroway, Parnassia,
and often lots of small light-blue Eyebright Euphrasia. Meadowsweet and
Fireweed occur also here, but mostly in clumps near houses or farm buildings.
in the marshes Cotton Grass relieves the monotony of the marsh vegetation,
while on the heath the 'purple hues' of heather Calluna vulgaris now dominate.
This is the last suite of summer flowers, to which also Hawksweed, Goldenrods
and the first mushrooms of the season belong. Many small hills are covered with
enticing looking large red berries; don't let yourself be fooled by what the
kids here call grisebær (=pig-berries), they do not taste anything at all.
These are the berries of the Dwarf Cornel Cornus suecica and even the birds
seem to avoid them---one wonders what can have been their survival value in
evolution.

As the other day on the coast near the airport, also here there are now lots of
small birds: again mostly Meadow Pipits, but also whole families of Redpoll
(lots of those, often far away from the nearest trees), Twite and Northern
Wheatear, while I also note wagtails, Willow Warblers and a young Pied
Flycatcher. A Raven crosses over, and just when I  formulate a sentence in my
head about the season being so advanced, that it can cross the marshes
unmolested, the marsh guardians, the Arctic Skuas (Parasitic Jaegers) rise and
see him off with spectacular divebombings. Still, the season is clearly much
advanced: most of the earlier  so common Whimbrels seem to have left, there are
no ducks or loons visible anymore on the small lakes, the skuas go up, but do
not deign to really attack me anymore, and even the Arctic Terns keep to some
token attacks before losing interest. I don't see the phalaropes either, but
they are very good at 'disappearing in plain sight', so they still may have
been present. Small flocks of Ruffs cruise around, and a few Common Snipe are
also still present.

I always walk past the hamlet of Tronjord (lots of kids on the fast growing
numbers of garden-trampolines) to a hill top, from where I can see across a
lake, where in earlier years a pair of Whooping Swans used to nest. I have not
seen them at all this year, but this has somehow become the traditional turning
point. The relevant corner of the lake is completely overgrown with tall Water
Horsetail Equisetum fluviatile, and to my complete surprise I see today a white
head in the midst of this horsetail patch. So I wait and gradually I become
aware of the presence of at least 4 swans, two adults and two cygnets (and
maybe more); I wonder where they have nested this year. This lake is also
always used as an 'ablution building' by the local large gulls, who clearly
prefer freshwater for their ablutions; there is a constant stream of gulls to
and fro.

Then it is timeout, becuase now the molter (=cloudberries Rubus chamaemorus)
are all ripe, juicy and excellent, and this year there are quite a number of
them. The ripe berries are orange yellow, while the unripe ones are red. They
grow many places here, but are especially numerous on small hummocks on the
edge of the marshes. And they are very very good. (One may pick and eat them
everywhere---Norway is an open society---, but you may not go and gather them
in large amounts unless you are on state ground; the land owners have the first
pick.)

I walk back the same way, shoo up a Willow Grouse, that flies up protesting
with its quite characteristic and funny calls, and later watch a majestic sea
eagle overhead. No sign of fog anymore, and lots of terns fishing over the
sound. i live in a wonderfully beautiful country!

                                                                           Wim
Vader, Tromsø Museum

9037 Tromsø, Norway

<>