birding-aus

Iron Range Question

Subject: Iron Range Question
From: Andrew Stafford <>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 12:24:33 +1000
Hi Jim

I've just driven from Cairns to Weipa via the Peninsula Developmental Road. I
can't speak for the track to Iron Range, but the main road is fine, other than
a few areas of severe corrugation either side of Laura and also on the road
from Musgrave to Coen. You can pick up Golden-shouldered Parrots easily in the
Windmill Creek environs, on Artemis Station. Sue Shepherd who co-owns the
station will be happy to help you out.

You can traverse this section easily enough in a 2WD, however bear in mind that
you won't be covered by any of the hire car companies in Cairns if you take one
of their vehicles past Lakeland. Again, I can't speak for the track to Iron
Range. Also, the longer you leave it, the more tourist traffic will chop the
road up, which will slow you down more. If you were driving from Cairns, my
recommendation would be to allow a good six hours to get to Musgrave, stay at
the roadhouse overnight and drive on to Iron Range the following day.

Cheers

Andrew