birding-aus

Kalamurina Station

To: <>
Subject: Kalamurina Station
From: "Geoffrey Jones" <>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 17:37:48 +1000
Good Afternoon Everyone

                                             For those who don't know who
Australian Wildlife Conservancy are, there is a program on Sunday Night
which will highlight Kalamurina station which is AWC's largest property and
borders Lake Eyre North and is 660,000 hectares I have enclosed an email
that I have received from Atticus Fleming who is the CEO of AWC, as I am a
supporter of AWC and it is dear to my heart. It is also a place that I am
hoping to visit in the upcoming weeks and photograph some of the endemic
birds of this region.

Kindest Regards

Geoff Jones

Barraimaging

I am pleased to advise that Australian Wildlife Conservancy and our
conservation programs at Kalamurina, adjacent to Lake Eyre, will be featured
on prime time television this weekend. Mike Munro is the presenter for a
segment on Sunday Night, a current affairs program which screens on Channel
7 at 6:30pm on Sunday evening.

I am pleased to advise that Australian Wildlife Conservancy and our
conservation programs at Kalamurina, adjacent to Lake Eyre, will be featured
on prime time television this weekend. Mike Munro is the presenter for a
segment on Sunday Night, a current affairs program which screens on Channel
7 at 6:30pm on Sunday evening

Kalamurina is AWC's largest sanctuary, covering more than 660,000 hectares
including the north shore of Lake Eyre and the last 100 kilometres of the
Warburton River. The images on Sunday Night showcase beautifully the
Warburton River in flood, meandering between the Simpson and Tirari Deserts
before pouring into Lake Eyre through the Warburton Groove, a channel that
extends deep into the Lake. This year the Lake reached its highest level in
40 years.

These floodwaters, together with above average local rain, have delivered a
stunning ecological boom for Kalamurina and the Lake Eyre region, with
thousands of waterbirds and a dramatic increase in small mammal populations.
The Channel 7 story will focus on this boom and the urgent need to implement
active land management (feral animal control etc) if we are to sustain the
ecological benefits of the boom and protect wildlife in a region that, for
the last century, has been a global epicentre for mammal extinctions