birding-aus

some wildlife in Singapore

To: "" <>
Subject: some wildlife in Singapore
From: Nikolas Haass <>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2011 06:35:08 -0700 (PDT)
Hi all,

Raja and I just returned from a 4-day trip to Singapore:

Arrival Thursday night
Friday: all day business
Saturday: some birding
Sunday: all day wedding of friends
Monday: some birding and then departure to Sydney

Although it wasn't the season for birding Singapore and although we never got
to bird in the early morning or late afternoon, we still managed to see a few
things:

Striated
Heron Butorides striata
White-bellied
Sea Eagle Haliaeetus leucogaster
Changeable
Hawk-Eagle Spizaetus cirrhatus
Rock Dove
Columba livia
Spotted-necked
Dove Streptopelia chinensis
Pink-necked
Green Pigeon Treron vernans
Blue-crowned
Hanging Parrot Loriculus galgulus – only fly-by
Long-tailed
Parakeet Psittacula longicauda – only fly-by (we never got to see them well
enough to be optically rule out other Psittacula spec. 100%, calls ruled out
most escapee options)

Asian
Drongo-Cuckoo Surniculus lugubris
Common Koel
Eudynamys scolopaceus – only calling
Chestnut-bellied
Malkoha Rhopodytes sumatranus
Edible-nest
Swiftlet Aerodramus fuciphagus – this and/or similar species
Dollarbird
Eurystomus orientalis
White-throated
Kingfisher Halcyon smyrnensis
Blue-eared
Kingfisher Alcedo meninting
Blue-throated
Bee-eater Merops viridis
Oriental
Pied Hornbill Anthracoceros albirostris - in the city!

Banded Woodpecker
Picus miniaceus

Common
Flame-backed Woodpecker Dinopium javanense
Golden-bellied
Gerygone Gerygone sulphurea – only singing
Common Iora
Aegithina tiphia
Pied
Triller Lalage nigra
Black-naped
Oriole Oriolus chinensis
Greater
Racket-tailed Drongo Dicrurus paradiseus
Pied
Fantail Rhipidura javanica
House Crow
Corvus splendens