birding-aus

No WTNT swift sightings in the last "swift season"

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: No WTNT swift sightings in the last "swift season"
From: Michael Tarburton <>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 17:33:17 +1000
G'day B-aus Members

A number of people have let me know that they never saw any White- throated Needletails during the last "Swift Season"

IF you normally do, BUT did not see any in this last season (or any previous season that you can recall) Would you mind letting me know [preferable off-list] as I am establishing a record of zero sightings to compare with the actual sightings I have been recording for 40 years. I think this will have value as I believe many WTNT spend most of their "Winter in Aussie" in a reasonably confined area. When the weather conditions are right they may leave these areas to temporarily visit less favourable areas. I think this explains why WTNT are almost always seen in some areas, but in others are only seen when the weather conditions favour their finding food in these areas, and will also assist in providing cheap transport to those areas.

Happy birding

Mike