birding-aus

: Guides for Wildflowers and trees

To: "Gordon and Pam Cain" <>, <>
Subject: : Guides for Wildflowers and trees
From: "Roger Giller" <>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 22:56:37 +1000
Hi Gordon,

I have a CD-ROM titled "Coastal Plants of the Royal National Park", which I bought a couple of years ago, before the gift shop at Audley was closed. It was produced by the Sutherland Group, Australian Native Plants Society. It has over 300 species and although it covers a rather limited area and habitat I have found it quite useful as I spend a bit of time birding there. More to the point, it allows you to enter various characteristics, such as flower colour, number of petals, leaf shape etc. and gives you a "short list' of images. A bit like the identification facility on the Birds in Backyards site. I believe there is an opening here for potential authors to extend the concept to other areas and make them available as CD-ROM and/or "Apps", which seem to be the way of the future. This was touched on in last weeks thread "iPhone App for Mammals".

Regards

Roger.