birding-aus

Short trip report from North Queensland

To: <>, birding-aus threads <>
Subject: Short trip report from North Queensland
From: martin cachard <>
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2011 07:23:05 +1030
Hi Chris

Sounds like you had a really good trip.
Your photos are great. I especially like the riflebird & Fernwren images!

Your Fernwren record at Mossman Gorge is an important one - I'm unaware of any
other records there for this species. But you are right, it is a good spot for
some other high altitude birds at this time of year - Bridled HE's &
Grey-headed Robin are other species that I've had there in the cooler months.
Fernwren do occur at lower altitudes at Mt Lewis in winter.

It looks like the Bronze-cuckoo image is of an imm Gould's race, especially
from the amount of rufous in the tail.
Sorry, but it's foster parents would have been Large-billed Gerygones, as
Mangrove G's don't occur here in this part of Wet Tropics.

If you got any pics of the waders at Cairns Espl, you can send them to me so I
can help confirm what you think may have been Great Knot - I would not be
surprised if a couple of first year birds are there at the moment.

Next time you come up here, go to Emerald Falls for the White-browed Robin.
There is at least one resident pair that lives in the riverside gallery beside
the picnic ground - they bred successfully there last season.

A good spot for Grey Goshawk in your neck of the woods is along the Pacific Hwy
on the light poles between Nords Wharf & Swansea, south of Newcastle. I used to
live at Nords & used to see them on most days, esp early & late in the day.

Cheers for now

Martin Cachard
Cairns
0428 782 808