birding-aus

Christmas Island visit : 27 May- 3 June

Subject: Christmas Island visit : 27 May- 3 June
From: M RODGERS <>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 07:43:06 +0100 (BST)
Dear Birders,
Just a very brief update to say we had an excellent week on CI last week, as I
was straight back to work on returning I haven't had time to put any details
together yet.  For those twitchers interested in CI vagrants we found a Chinese
Pond Heron (Sum. plumage) and some 'Black-winged' Stilts (2) plus Whiskered
Terns (2-3), Lesser Frigates 2 only definite. The regular seabirds were
stunning
as expected, Abbots Boobies particularly impressive over Margaret's Lookout.
If
anyone wants any specific details of best spots for the Frigates, Boobies etc
from a photographers perspective please contact me directly .  A week wasn't
long enough if photography is your main objective especially as the two large
frigates still confuse me despite seeing 1000's!   Also if you want to see the
Hawk owl prepare for a hard time- we only heard two distantly.  Crabs were
something else........amazing creatures.

Good birding
Matthew Rodgers, UK