birding-aus

central NSW

To: <>, birding-aus threads <>
Subject: central NSW
From: martin cachard <>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 00:09:34 +1030
Hi Greg

Don't worry about the cold... you are on track for these birds in these parks.

You should have no trouble at all for the scrub-robin at Round Hill &
neighbouring Nombinne NR's - I don't thinkd I'd be exaggerating in saying it is
very common throughout these parks in the right habitat, of which there is
plenty.
Try the area around & just to the west of the 'old fields' just into Nombinnie
for scrub-robins as well as the RL Whistler. The whistler may not be calling
much yet, but they may sing if you're lucky.

I had a young RL Whistler in late 2009 about 10kms along the track that runs
alongside the 'old field' that then bears more westerly - I got it 1km before
you cross the north-south firbreak track, which is about 11-12kms from the old
field from memory. I only found the bird because it called.
So good luck if they aren't calling yet - they are usually singing Sept-Nov,
but are also known to sing outside these times.

You should get lots of Shy Heath-wren & Chestnut Quail-thrush too, just about
anywhere in the mallee in those reserves. In the more open areas in Round Hill,
keep a look out for Black-eared Cuckoo - I've had several there near the tanks
camp area in 2 visits.

Best regards

Martin Cachard
Cairns