birding-aus

Superb Hairy Friend

To: <>
Subject: Superb Hairy Friend
From: "Ruth Woodrow" <>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 20:17:38 +1000
I work at Serendip Sanctuary, a bird and wildlife sanctuary near Geelong.
The local primary school leases a classroom in our park and each grade gets
to spend a full week with us, where they learn about the environment, our
birds and animals, and are allocated jobs to help look after the park. Us
rangers get to deliver sessions on all sorts of relevant topics, mine being
birdwatching and how to identify and record birds.

Today the school teacher was compiling the day's list of birds the students
had seen and identified in the park. She called out to the kids, "What's
that little blue bird we saw today, what's it called?", and one of the kids
(Grade 3) immediately called out "Oh, I know, it was the Superb Hairy
Friend!". This was not a joke and I haven't stopped laughing about it since.
The kids are really learning, in their own cute way.

I think all fairy wrens Paul and I see from now on are going to be called
Superb Hairy Friends!!!

Ruth Woodrow

Docklands, Victoria