birding-aus

Masked Lapwing around Lake Eyre

To: "'Birding-aus'" <>
Subject: Masked Lapwing around Lake Eyre
From: "John Penhallurick" <>
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2011 10:21:38 +1000
Hi friends,

Can anyone give me information about Vanellus miles around Lake Eyre.Coates
and Bishop,The Birds of Wallacea,say under V.miles:" In the recent
literature, the well differentiated forms miles and novaehollandiae are
treated as races of a single species because they hybridise in at least two
areas where they meet in E. Australia. In the past, they were treated as two
good species Masked Lapwing V. miles and Spur-winged Lapwing
V.novaehollandiae.

In Peters' time, any evidence of hybridisation was taken as evidence of
conspecifity. But thinking about this has changed. Now we need to take into
account whether the zone of overlap is broad or narrow

And also what kinds of birds are evident in the zone.  Are most of the birds
breeding true with only a minority of hybrids?

The two zones of hybridisation are 1) around Cairns. Information kindly
supplied by Martin Cachard suggests to me that the situation there supports
viewing them as two species.But I have not received any information about
the the other supposed zone of hybridisation 2) in the Lake Eyre Basin. The
South Australian Museum holds many hybrids from that area, all collected by
Shane Parker.  But it could be that Shane was more intrested in the presence
of hybrids than the larger questions.

Any information gratefully received.

Dr John Penhallurick

86 Bingley Cres

Fraser A.C.T. 2615

Australia

email:

Phone: Home (612) 62585428

Mobile:0408585426

sunt lacrimae rerum et mentem mortalia tangunt Aeneid Book 1,line 462  "The
world is a world of tears, and the burdens of mortality touch the heart."

Magna est veritas et praevilabit Vulgate, Book of Edras

Si vis pacem para bellum  Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Publius_Flavius_Vegetius_Renatus> 's De Re
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Re_Militari>  Militari, book 3

Please visit my website:http://www.worldbirdinfo.net

Please also visit my blog at
http://jpenhall.wordpress.com/2011/04/02/proof-that-there-is-not-a-scrap-of-
evidence-in-favour-of-the-ipccs-attack-on-carbon-dioxide/